Uexplore / Dexter Tutorials
Tools for Accessing the Missouri Census Data Center Data Archive
If you are new to these tools you may want to start by looking at the What is Uexplore/Dexter? introduction and overview page.
- Dexter Quick Start Guide
- A brief introduction to the basics of the Dexter data extraction module. Good for users who are just getting started. Includes a link to the video-based alternative module that shows you how it works.
- Dexter Help
- This is the ultimate reference resource for using the Dexter module. It is readily accessible from the Dexter query form.
- Ten Things to Know About the MCDC Data Archive
- This is a good introductory module that provides useful information about key aspects of the data archive. Recommended reading for anyone trying to get a handle on what data are available and how they are organized and named.
These are helpful and important resources. But they were created (circa 2005-2007) primarily for use in a workshop setting where they would be augmented with instructor comments and hands-on practice sessions. Be sure to view the presenter notes.
- Dexter: The Missouri Census Data Center's Data Extraction Utility
- This is the largest and most important of the slideshows. It covers the basics of the data archive and using dexter to access it. This is the module that forms the basis of our workshops on how to use Dexter. Around 60 slides.
- Dexter Tutorial, Part 2: More Advanced Topics And Exercises
- A continuation of the previous module that deals with more advanced options, especially those contained in Section V of the Dexter query form. Around 45 slides.
- Accessing Large Table Files With Dexter
- This used to be part of the main tutorial but was split off as a separate module in 2007. It deals with special considerations when using Dexter to access data sets where the variables are organized into logical tables This means the Census Bureau summary (tape) files and the various base tables data sets from the American Community Survey. Around 31 slides.
- The MCDC Data Archive
- This module focuses on the underlying collection of public data files comprising the data archive. It provides a brief historical perspective on how the collection came to be. It also deals with various naming conventions, directory structures, common geographic and other identifier variables, etc. Some of this material also appears in the base Dexter tutorial, but this one has much more depth. Around 59 slides. The Ten Things to Know... page cited above is probably a better place to start.